These pages contain transcriptions of news items published in Meigs County newspapers. They were transcribed from microfilm copies of the originals or from the originals themselves.
Further contributions would be most welcome.
Meigs County Tribune January 2, 1884
DEATH OF AN OLD CITIZEN. - Mr. Samuel Church, who had been a resident of this city for over fifty years, died at his residence in the Second Ward, last Saturday morning, after an illness of only three days, at the advanced age of 83 years. The deceased was born in Pitston, Maine, Nov. 11, 1799, and was the oldest of a family of eight brothers and three sisters. His father's family moved from Maine in 1817, and located in Rutland. Mr. Church came to this place in 1830 when it was but a corn-field with only three houses, having been a resident here ever since. He assisted in building the Pomeroy Rolling mill and was employed in that concern for quite a number of years afterward. He was first married in 1835, to Miss Lydia B. Murray, who died in 1853, leaving a son and daughter (William and Rhoda). In 1854, he was married to Mrs. S.R. Waterman, by whom he had only one child (Fred). His wife and children survive him. His funeral was held on last Monday morning at the M.E. Church and his remains were buried in the lower cemetery in Middleport. [Transcribed by Elaine Balasky]
Meigs County Tribune January 16, 1884
DEATH OF AN OLD CITIZEN. - Jonas T. Roup, another of our old river men, has passed away, having died last Monday evening at 9 o'clock, aged 68 years, 2 months, and 8 days. He was born at East Liberty, Ohio, November 8, 1815 and came to Pomeroy with his parents when a boy, living with them also at Portsmouth, Gallipolis, Marietta, and finally on the Scioto River, where his parents died soon after which he came to Middleport, probably in 1831, as he was here during the flood of 1832. Mr. Roup and Miss Candace, daughter of the late Phillip Jones, were married in 1835, who with three of their four children - May Roup, Mrs. L.F. Williams and Hal Roup - both of the boys well known river engineers, survive the husband and father and mourn his loss. He also leaves a sister, Mrs. C.B. Laughead, who resides here, and two brothers living at distance. Mr. Roup was a steamboat engineer before such a thing as licensed engineers by the government were known, and served as such until prostrated by rheumatism in 1868, since which he has at times suffered so much of physical pain that his acquaintances feel that death was a merciful relief. He became a member of the Christian Church in 1871, and the funeral sermon was preached by Elder G.M.Kemp, of that denomination, at the Freewill Baptist Church here this morning at 10 o'clock in the presence of a large congregation. [Transcribed by Elaine Balasky]
Meigs County Tribune January 30, 1884
[pg. 5] OBITUARY. Mr. Thomas Turnball was born September 30, 1826, at Washington Staith, on the bank of the River Wear, near Sunderland, in the Parish of Washington, County of Durham, England. He emigrated to the United States in the spring of 1851, with his wife and one child (which died Feb'y. 14, 1877) and settled in the Kanawha Valley, near Charleston, W. Va. In the fall of the same year he moved to Pomeroy, Meigs County, Ohio. In January, 1852, he moved to Sheffield, now Middleport, and has lived in the vicinity ever since that time, until January 24, 1884, when he lost his life in the Diamond coal bank by a fall of coal, which broke his neck and back, beside making other heavy bruises about his head. His age was 57 years, 3 months and 24 days. He leaves the partner of his joys and sorrows and six children - two sons and four daughters - to mourn his untimely death. [same paper, pg. 8] MIDDLEPORT KILLED IN MINE. - Last Thursday Mr. Thos. Turnball, one of the oldest and best known coal miners of this region, and a brother of Mr. E. Turnbull, manager of the Pomeroy Salt Works, just after he had eaten his dinner in the coal bank operated by the Dyke Bros., was caught by an immense body of falling coal and killed. Wm. Snowden was within a few feet of him, and calling assistance the coal was thrown off of Mr. Turnbull as speedily as possible, and he breathed a few times after being extricated, but the injuries to his head, back and side were fatal, and he soon expired. Mr. Turnbull was fifty-seven years of age, and he leaves a wife and six children to mourn his loss. All of the children except his son John, who is in New Mexico, and his daughter Lizzie, who is in England, have arrived from their distant homes to attend the funeral, which took place from the M.E. Church yesterday at 1 o'clock p.m. [Transcribed by Elaine Balasky]
Meigs County Tribune February 27, 1884
THE LATE MRS. C.W.WILLIAMSON. - The death of this estimable lady at her residence in the First Ward, Thursday, Feb.14, was not only a surprise to her husband, but to a large circle of friends in this city, as but few knew of her serious illness. She was first attacked with malarial fever, but her death was from inflammatory rheumatism. She had been confined to her room about three weeks, her sufferings being intense, but she died without a word or struggle not even speaking to her husband who was at her bedside. The deceased was born in 1821 and was married to Capt. Williamson Dec. 7, 1842, at Racine by Rev. Wm. Bay. For seventeen years following they have made their home on Buffington Island, and in 1859 removed to this city where they have since resided. She was the mother of four children, one of whom (Capt. J.N.) survives her. She joined the Presbyterian Church at an early age, and lived a consistent member until her death. The poor and needy people will most keenly feel the death of Mrs. Williamson, as she was a generous giver, and had devoted a large portion of her life to the work of charity. Her funeral was held Sunday, Feb. 17, being conducted by Rev. R.H. Wallace, of the M.E. church. Owing to the water being on the streets her remains were conveyed to Court street on the ferryboat and thence to Beech Grove Cemetery. Her maiden name was Nancy Isabell Chidester, and she was 62 years of age at the time of her death. [Transcribed by Elaine Balasky]
Meigs County Tribune March 19, 1884
Jacob Roush was born in Shenandoah County, Virginia, April 17, 1798; died March 7, 1884, aged 85 years, 10 months and 20 days. He moved to Ohio in 1801. He was a member of the Lutheran Church, and was an honest, quiet and industrious citizen, and lived till his posterity numbered 114, viz: 13 children, 70 grandchildren and 31 great-grandchildren. Father Roush was a good citizen, an honest and faithful neighbor, and a man that shunned all neighborhood disputes. He had no enemies, but all spoke well of him. The funeral services were conducted by Rev. J.W. Howe. [Transcribed by Elaine Balasky]
Meigs County Tribune April 9, 1884
DEATH OF JOHN BEILER. - Mr. John Beiler, a respected German citizen of the Second Ward, died at his residence last Monday morning of consumption, at the age of 36 years. The deceased was first taken with this dreaded disease about five years ago and for the past year he has been confined to the house the greater part of his time. He was born at Heigelheime, Germany, and with his parents emigrated to this city when he was quite a small boy and has been a resident ever since. He was employed at the Pomeroy Rolling Mill for a great many years and during the time the mill was managed by Mr. E.McMillen he held the position of forge boss; he also held the same position after the mill was purchased by T.A. Watson & Co., but in a short time was compelled to resign on account of ill health. He was a member of Rhein Lodge No. 309 I.O.O.F., of this city, and also a member of St. John's Evangelical Church. The funeral will be held this afternoon and the remains will be buried at Nailor's Run Cemetery by the Odd Fellows. He leaves a wife and five children. Mr. Beiler is the last one of a family of five, all the victims of consumption. [Transcribed by Elaine Balasky]
Meigs Co. Telegraph April 23, 1884
MATRIMONIAL Wendel J. HEPP and Miss Mary BAUER, daughter of Mr. George BAUER, of the Second ward, were married last Sunday evening. The ceremony was performed at the residence of the bride's parents, by Rev. SCHILLING, of St. John's Evangelical Church, in the presence of a number of friends and relatives. Last Saturday evening, Square L.H. La? married Mr. John MARTIN and Miss Lucy WOODRUFF. The ceremony was performed at the parlor of the DIXON home. Last Thursday, John HARRIS, of the First Ward, was married to Miss Nora VINEY, of Gallipolis. The ceremony was performed by Elder BRYAN, at the bride's residence. Last Sunday evening Pleasant BLACK and Esther CONNER were married at the Kerr's Run Colored Freewill Baptist Church, by Prof T.H. FERGUSON [Transcribed by Connie Schumaker]
unknown Meigs County newspaper July 10, 1884
Mr. James Fish, of the First Ward, whose serious illness was recently noted in the Telegraph, died at his residence last Thursday morning, July 10th in the 65th year of his age. Mr. Fish was one of our most respected and valued citizens, and his funeral which was in charge of the Knights Templar, was perhaps the largest ever held in Pomeroy. The services were held at the M. E. Church. Rev. Wallace delivered a eulogy on the deceased and the beautiful service of the Knights Templar was read after which the long procession, composed of the Fire Co., the Masonic and Odd Fellows Lodges, the Knights Templar, the city officers and citizens on foot and in carriages was formed and moved to Beech Grove Cem. were the interment, conducted by the Knights, took place. James Fish was a native of Massachusetts, where he was born in September, 1817. At the age of two years he came with his parents to Ohio, and has ever since been a resident of Meigs County. His parents settled in Orange Township. He came to Pomeroy forty years ago, shortly after it became the county seat, and has been intimately connected with the business and municipal interests of the city during all the years of its growth to the present time. He served eighteen years in the town and city council, ten of which he was presiding officer, and in all of that time he had the confidence, the respect and esteem of his associate members. All his acts were the results of careful investigation and well matured judgment. While he was public spirited and free to do and spend to advance the interests of the city, yet he guarded well the treasury and never with his consent permitted the useless expenditures of the people's money. For twenty-four years he was Secretary and Treasurer of the Coalridge Salt Company and as a business man he was (next line unreadable) integrity in word and deed. Mr. Fish was a charter member of Mineral Lodge No 242, and Pomeroy Encampment No 68 IOOF. He was also a member of the lodge and Chapter of Free Masons, and at the time of his death was the Eminent Commander of Ohio Valley Commandery No 24, Knights Templar. By the death of his wife, Mr. Fish had been left a widower for many years. Of immediate relatives he leaves a step daughter, Miss Julia Doyle, one brother, Frank Fish, and one sister, Mrs. James Miller. In Politics Mr. Fish generally acted with the Democratic party, but was a man of liberal and independent views. Such was the confidence reposed in him that when he would accept the candidacy for any office he was ardently supported by voters of all parties. He was a valued member of the Board of Education at the time of his death. At his funeral people from all parts of the city and elsewhere vied with each other in paying respect to his memory. [Transcribed by Kay Williams]
unknown Meigs County newspaper August 10, 1884
Forty Three Buildings Go Up In Smoke Burned Out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Last Monday morning at a few minutes after 2 o'clock a fire broke out in the rear of Mrs. B. Weiskittel's bakery and confectionery store on Front street in the square above the Remington House. The light shining through his window awoke Joe Blumenthal, who immediately proceeded to awake Mrs. Weiskittel, who resided in a building in the rear of the storeroom, and sounded an alarm, but the flames had gained such headway that she was unable to save any of her stock, and but little of her household effects. The building in which the fire originated was a new one, having been put up since the February flood, and belonged to August Zahl, of Minersville. It was situated near the center of a square that was very thickly built up, the most of the structures being old frames and in good condition to burn. Adjoining Mrs. Weiskittel on the east, in the same building, Mrs. Frank S. Taylor occupied a suit of rooms for a ladies' furnishing store and dressmaking establishment. The entire building was soon wrapped in flames, but Mrs. Taylor succeeded in saving a large portion of her stock. There was little air stirring at the time, but the fire immediately spread to the adjoining building on both sides and in the rear, and a regular conflagration was inaugurated. A general alarm brought a large portion of the population of the city to the scene, and while the fire company devoted itself to the work of fighting the flames, the residents and others proceeded to empty endangered buildings of their contents as speedily as possible. In spite of everything that could be done the flames spread with such rapidity that within three hours forty-three buildings were reduced to ashes and embers. Starting from the Zahl building, occupied by Mrs. Weiskittel's and Mrs. Taylor, the flames spread east to the residence of A. Blumenthal, which together with a large portion of his household goods, including one of the finest pianos in the city, was destroyed. The next building was the large two-story business house on the corner of Sycamore and Front streets, owned by Sam Silverman, of Gallipolis, aided by J. T. Dunbar, as a music store and sewing machine office, and Kennedy & Diehl, dealers in dry goods and millinery. Both of these firms succeeded in removing a large portion of their goods, but in a much damaged condition. The second story of the building was occupied by two families - Frank Diehl and Mrs. M. Cahoon. They both lost nearly all their household effects. In the rear of the above building, on Sycamore street, was a dwelling owned by Mr. Silverman, which was entirely destroyed. It was unoccupied. The flames then spread across and up Sycamore street, consuming the two-story frame building owned by B. Koehler, and occupied on the first floor by Thomas Wheatley as a sewing machine office. The second floor was occupied by Mr. Wheatley's family as a residence. They succeeded in saving almost everything. W. H. Remington's new building adjoining was also burned. The residence of Mrs. Eliza Lee, and the Bichman residences, occupied by Rev. R. H. Wallace, in the rear of the Wheatley building, were burned to the ground, but the furniture was all taken out. Mrs. Wallace, who has been confined to her bed for several months, and during the past week has been considered at death's door, was removed to the residence of H. H. Horton. At the corner of Sycamore and Second streets was situated the St. Paul German Lutheran Church, and adjoining was the parsonage, a two-story frame building, both of which were burned to their foundations. The pastor, Rev. William Schmidt, and his family are absent in Germany, but had their household goods packed away in the building, which were fortunately saved. Next was a stable and a small building occupied by the family of Burns, the Remington House porter, a residence belonging to George Munch, a building belonging to John Mora, a residence belonging to W. F. Thorne & Co of Cincinnati, occupied by John Bartlett, and a residence belonging to Mrs. Keck, occupied by Mrs. Peter Eiselstein. These were all burned. On the north side of Second street the following buildings were burned: A building formerly called the Dixon House, belonging to Henry Koehler, and occupied by the Journal and Mosquito offices, also as an office and residence by Mayor Weidt; the city engine house; a small house occupied by Sis White; a large two-story house belonging to Mr. Mees, and a two-story house belonging to Mrs. Kohl. In the printing office above named nearly all the material was lost, including three presses. Coming to Front street again, west (down the river) from Mrs. Weiskittel's, the following buildings were burned: The grocery and residence of Nicholas Curtis; the millinery store of the Misses Collet; the groceries and saloons of Andy Rappold, L. Gottfried, J. Mora; the confectionery store of Isaac Baer; the Dixon Hotel; the saloon and billiard hall of Henry Scharff; the barbershop of John Spaniol; the shoe store and residence of George Rubenstahl; the large grocery and residence of John A. Franz,; the meat shop of Frank Gloeckner, Sr.; and the drug store of Dr. A. W. Seebohm. The rear of the Seebohm building was occupied by Starkey's shoe shop and the office of the Dr. Ackley. All of these buildings, with one exception, were two stories high, and the second stories of nearly all were occupied by families. The fire company necessarily worked at a great disadvantage, owing to the large territory over which the fire was spread, and it soon became evident that the most they could do would be to prevent its crossing Linn street and burning the Remington House and other buildings in that square. But after the arrival of the Middleport fire engine and company, who rendered valuable services, the two German churches on the corner of Linn and Second streets were saved, and they are the only frame buildings left standing on the square in which the fire broke out. John Franz's three-story brick warehouse was also saved, and the fire in Seebohm's drugstore building was put out after it had burned about half down. By hard work with buckets the residence of Mr. Reuter, on Second street, and the residences of Frank Gloeckner, Jr. and H. Dilcher, above Sycamore street, were kept from burning and a large amount of adjoining property was saved. The contents of the buildings on Front street were strewn in almost promiscuous heaps all over the city lot and the ferry levee on the riverbank. Insurance - Front Street The following is a complete list of those who were insured: A. W. Seebohm, on building and stock, $2,400, in J. B. Downing's agency. Franz and Gloeckner, on store rooms owned and occupied by them, $1,000 in Henry Seebers' agency, and $1,000 in a Cincinnati agency. John A. Franz, on stock of good, $1,000 and $250 on piano in Seebers' agency. George Rubenstahl, on stock of boots and shoes, $1,000 in James Ralston's agency. Henry Sharff, on billiard tables, stock and household furniture, $800 in Walter Hysell's agency. John Mora, on building, $1,000 in J. F. Downing's agency, and $1,000 on building and stock in a Cincinnati agency. Mrs. Lewis Gottfried, on building, $1,600 in J. F. Downing' agency. Mary Collet, on millinery good, $300 in J. B. Downing's agency. A. Burkert heirs, on building occupied by I. Baer as a grocery, $400 in a Cincinnati agency. Mrs. Susannah Mora, on building occupied by Ike Baer, and family as a residence, $400 in a Cincinnati agency. Mrs. N. Curtis, on store room, $1,000 in Ralston's agency. Nick Curtis, on merchandise and furniture, $500 in Ralson's agency. August Zahl, on storerooms occupied by Mrs. B. Weiskittel's, and Mrs. Frank S. Taylor, $1,300 in J. B. Downing's agency. Mrs. B. Weiskittle, on stock, bake over, bake shop and store furniture, $2,000 and on household goods and piano, $800 in Hysell's agency. Mrs. Frank S. Taylor, on stock, $800 in Hysell's agency. A. Blumenthal, on residence, furniture, piano and clothing, $700 in Ralston's agency. Sam Silverman, of Gallipolis, on store building, $2,000 in J. B. Downing's agency. Kennedy & Diehl on dry goods and store furniture, $700. [Transcribed by Kay Williams]
unknown Meigs County newspaper August 13, 1884
Fire-Saturday morning, about 1 o'clock, John Zier, who lives about half a mile north of the Fairgound, in Salisbury township, discovered his distillery to be in flames, and before any assistance could be rendered it burned to the ground. The flames next spread to a log stable, filled with corn and barley, and it burned to the ground. From there the flames crossed to a pig-pen quite a large structure, and it also went up in smoke. The next building to go was his large barn, filled with hay, grain, farming implements, harness, etc. Mr. Zier and a few neighbors who had gathered had to devote the time to saving his residence, which caught fire several times. He estimates his loss at $5,000, with 1900 insurance on the whole, in the following companies: 1500 with John F. Downing, in the Mechanics of Brooklyn, and 400 with George P. Stout, in the Ohio Farmers. The fire is considered the work of an incendiary and Mr. Zier thinks it was a tramp who had slept in his barn the night before. The loss is a very severe one to Mr. Zier. [Transcribed by Kay Williams]
unknown Meigs County newspaper September 10, 1884
David R. Lewis, a well known citizen of Minersville, died at his home in that place last Friday, September 5. Mr. Lewis was born in South Wales August 13, 1813. He has been in this country nearly forty-five years, thirty-five of which were spent in this bend. He was a miner and mine boss in both Pennsylvania and Ohio. At one time he was worth $10,000 but made some unfortunate investments in salt stock and lost a greater part of it. He was buried on the hill back of his home last Monday, a large procession of friends following him to his last resting place. The party of hunters who went out to Athens County last week returned home Sunday morning. They killed 174 squirrels and 14 groundhogs. A very pleasant marriage occurred last night at 8 oclock at the residence of Mr. Hammontree, No. 206 William Street, being the nuptials of Mr. Albert Watson and Miss Jennie Hunt. A number of friends witnessed the ceremony, after which they partook of an elegant repast. The couple has the best wishes of their numerous friends. (Chattanooga Times, September 5th.) Mr. Watson was a former Pomeroy boy, son of Mr. Robert Watson of the Second Ward. Blacksmith Shop On Fire - Last Wednesday night Charles Weldman's blacksmith shop was found to be on fire. A large hole burned through the floor behind the furnace before it was put out. It is not known how it started. Priode's livery stable is adjoining, and it with other buildings would have shared the same fate if the shop had burned. The flames were extinguished with a few buckets of water. The fire is suppose to have originated from some sparks falling on a pile of rope which was lying near the forge. [Transcribed by Kay Williams]
Meigs County Telegraph September 17, 1884
MR. JAMES B. YOUNG, an old and esteemed citizen of Bedford, died yesterday at three o'clock p.m., very suddenly, of heart disease. He was seventy-five years old.
Meigs County Tribune December 17, 1884
OBITUARY. "MOTHER HAS GONE." Mrs. Mary (Morrison) Longstreth, mother of Harrison, David, Joseph and John Longstreth, died Dec. 9th, 1884, aged 85 years 10 mo. and 4 da. Mary Morrison was born in Chester Co., Pa., Feb. 5, 1799; was married to Wm. Longstreth, of Bucks Co., Pa., Dec. 24, 1823. They removed from Pa. to Columbiana Co., Ohio, in 1838, coming over the mountains a distance of 400 miles in a two horse wagon when David was a babe three months old. They remained there but one year and then came to Meigs County and settled on section five of Salem township in 1839, which was then a vast wilderness, and is now the home of her son, John Longstreth. No neighbors were then nearer than Mr. Anderson's on the east, Mr. Robinson's and Mr. Entsminger's down the creek, and Mr. Parker's on Parker's Run. Here Mr. and Mrs. Longstreth endured many of the privations of pioneer life, clearing a farm and rearing a family of six sons and three daughters, until Dec. 7th, 1847, when Mr. Longstreth died. The deceased has therefore, been a widow thirty-seven years. In early life, she professed faith in Christ and united with the regular Baptist Church, and as she grew older she became more interested in her Bible. She was a member of the Pioneer Association of Meigs County; and spent the last years of her life in the family of her son David, whom she carried across the mountains when a babe. Five sons and two daughters survive her, all being married and doing reasonably well for themselves. "We sorrow not as those who have no hope." Farewell, mother, until we meet on the other side. [Transcribed by Elaine Balasky]
Return to the Newspaper page.