Meigs County News For The Year 1888

These pages contain transcriptions of news items published in Meigs County newspapers. They were transcribed from microfilm copies of the originals or from the originals themselves.

Further contributions would be most welcome.

Meigs County Telegraph February 1, 1888
Dr. Alvin Person, one of the original organizers of the Prohibition Party in this county, died at his home in Orange Twp., Sunday morning, in the 67th year of his age. The deceased had been afflicted for years with kidney complaint, which was the cause of his death. [Transcribed by Elaine Balasky]

unknown Meigs Co. newspaper February 8, 1888
Martin Lee, a very old man, was laid away in the Burlingham cemetery last week. He moved into Bedford forty one years ago, and put up a log cabin in the woods and moved into it on the lands now owned by Lester Frost. He was an intelligent hard working man and soon had a comfortable home paid for. [Transcribed by Kay Williams]

Meigs County Telegraph February 8, 1888
Mrs. Jacob Durst, formerly a resident of Sugar Run, died last week at her home in Cleveland of inflammation of the bowels.

Unknown newspaper, Meigs County, Ohio February 8, 1888
Jeff Violet has been gone some time to Pike Co on a visit connected with some business matters. Birthissel & Sanders are talking a selling their sawmill on Big Run to some parties near Tuppers Plains. The spelling school at Bearwallow, attracted a tremendous crowd, but Fode Conant saved the reputation of the school by a well earned victory. Martin Lee, a very old man, was laid away in the Burlingham cemetery last week. He moved into Bedford fortyone years ago, and put up a log cabin in the woods and moved into it on the lands now owned by Lester Frost. He was an intelligent hard working man and soon had a comfortable home paid for. D. A. Frost has so far recovered from his severe illness as to be able to walk out. Thirty of his neighbors turned out one day last week and cut and hauled enough wood to do him the remaining of the winter. He is the only shoemaker in the neighborhood and his sickness created confusion with those who needed repairing done. Dr. J. H. Thurston and wife of Bungtown surrendered their rooms last Thursday evening to the young folks for a neck tie party, which as a social affair has never been excelled in the vicinity. East Bedford is beginning to hunt for a candidate for Justice of the Peace in place of A. C. Guthrie whose time will expire, and who probably will not accept another term. [Transcribed by Kay Williams]

Tribune, Meigs County, Ohio April 11, 1888
DEATH OF AN EX-SOLDIER. - Nicholas Reuter, long a resident of Pomeroy, died at his residence just above the depot Saturday morning at 3 o'clock after an illness of several months, in the 49th year of his age. The deceased was born in the kingdom of Bavaria September 30, 1839, and came to America in 1847, settling in this city. When the war broke out he enlisted in Co. M, 1st W.Va. cavalry and was in the field three years and three months, and participated in the battles of Bull Run, Gettysburg, Brandy Station, Cedar Mountain, Winchester, Waterloo Bridge, Culpepper and many others. December 26, 1865, he was united in marriage to Barbara Reuter, also a native of Bavaria, by whom he had eight children. In 1872 the deceased began the grocery business which he continued until his death. The funeral took place Monday afternoon under the auspices of the Grand Army Post, of this city, of which he was a leading member. The remains were interred in Beech Grove Cemetery. [Transcribed by Elaine Balasky]

Telegraph, Meigs County, Ohio July 25, 1888
EZEKIEL HARPER, who has resided nearly fifty years on his farm just below the Union Avenue bridge on Thomas Fork, died suddenly and unexpectedly last Thursday evening of heart disease. He had been about his duties all day and in the evening drove about over the neighborhood with one of his grandchildren. After returning home about sunset, he went into the back yard, and in a few moments afterward, he was found dead, with his hands peacefully crossed over his breast. The deceased was in the 79th year of his age, and was one of the leading and most respected citizens of the neighborhood. He leaves eight children, all grown up. The funeral took place Sunday morning, Rev. Hissey officiating, and the remains were followed to the grave by almost the entire neighborhood. JOHNNIE MCQUIGG, youngest child of Mr. and Mrs. John McQuigg, of Lincoln Hill, died early Sunday morning of spasms brought on by cholera infantum. Little Johnnie was about one and a half years old and was ill but two days. The funeral took place Monday afternoon. MARY ZAHL, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. August Zahl, of Minersville, died Friday morning of quick consumption in the 30th year of her age. The deceaseed a few months ago was a robust and healthy-looking young lady. The funeral took place Sunday afternoon from the St. John Evangelical church in the Second Ward Rev. Boehrig officiating. The burial took place at Beech Grove cemetery. There were over forty carriages and buggies in the procession. CHARLES CAMPBELL, formerly a resident of Minersville, died at Wellston Friday and the remains were brought here Saturday night. The deceased was a young single man, and a blacksmith by trade. The funeral took place Monday forenoon under the auspices of the Odd Fellows of which association he was a member. The body was buried at the Gilmore cemetery. A SMALL CHILD of Mr. and Mrs. Geo. Rasp, of Monkey Run, died Sunday and was buried Monday afternoon. [Transcribed by Elaine Balasky]

Tribune, Meigs County, Ohio August 1, 1888
MRS.CHARLES E. KATZ. A very sad death occurred in the Second Ward last Thursday afternoon. Mrs. Charles E. Katz complained of not feeling well about ten o'clock and retired to her bed and in an hour was a corpse, as a result , it is supposed, of neuralgia of the stomach from which she had suffered previously. The deceased's maiden name was Sophia Fredreika Fisher and she was born in Germany in 1830, came to this country in 1854 and was married to Charles E. Katz the next year, and resided in the house where they commenced housekeeping until her death. The deceased leaves a husband who is employed in the Excelsior store, and six children, three sons and three daughters, viz; George C., formerly assistant cashier in the Pomeroy National Bank, but for the past three years in a bank at Chattanooga, Tennessee; Charles, a pattern maker in an iron works at Springfield, Illinois; Julius, clerk in the Buckeye store in this city; Mrs. Annie Smith; wife of Simeon Smith, of Detroit, Michigan; Emma, who is at home and Katie, who is at Steinway, Long Island. George and Charles arrived here last week on a short visit and the very morning his mother died the latter departed for Springfield leaving his mother in apparently the best of health and spirits. On reaching Cincinnati in the afternoon a telegram awaited him announcing her death and he returned on the next train. All the children but Katie reached home in time to attend the funeral, which took place from the residence Sunday afternoon at 3:30 o'clock, Rev. Turnbull, of the Presbyterian church and Rev. Fisher, of the Peace church officiating. The body was buried at Beech Grove. [Transcribed by Elaine Balasky]

Telegraph, Meigs County, Ohio August 1, 1888
THE INFANT of Mr. and Mrs. John Smith, of the Second Ward, died Saturday evening of Summer complaint. Its age was about four months. A DAUGHTER of Mrs. Grace Carleton, of Bedford township, died last Wednesday of consumption. The funeral took place Friday. The many friends of Prof. S. F. Smith, of Chester, will learn with regret of the death of one of his twin children, which occurred last Saturday. Particulars in Chester items. [Transcribed by Elaine Balasky]

Tribune, Meigs County, Ohio August 8, 1888
KILLED BY A COW. A DEPLORABLE AND FATAL ACCIDENT TO MRS. JEREMIAH GOTSCHALL, OF DOWNINGTON. Mrs. Jeremiah Gotschall, of Downington, Scipio township, died at 4 o'clock last Thursday morning under very distressing circumstances. Mrs. Gotschall was in poor health and was not in the habit of doing the milking, but on Monday evening of last week her husband having an extra load of oats to get in after supper, she undertook to do so to assist him in his work. Among the cows was one which had always been considered gentle, but which would kick when she had a young calf, and the calf was allowed to run with her longer on that account than would otherwise have been done. When it came this cow's turn to be milked Mrs. Gotschall undertook to turn the calf away from the cow and was pushing it before her when the cow attacked her from the rear and threw her down, and then gored her twice and backed off for the third lunge, when Mrs. Gottschall saw an opportunity to escape, and climbed onto a board fence and fell on the opposite side. Her husband saw her fall from the fence from where he was on a load of oats, and at once ran to her and inquired concerning her injuries. The unfortunate woman did not know she was seriously hurt at that time, and said that she would be able to walk to the house in a moment. He assisted her in and an examination first revealed that she had been gored in the right side and the cow's horn had pierced the cavity of the abdomen and torn a gash three inches long. Dr. Howard Day was at once summoned and later Dr. S. Day came to his son's assistance, but they could not save her and she died as above stated. The deceased was a daughter of John Douglas, a well-known citizen of Scipio, was married to Mr. Gotschall in 1880, and was 33 years of age at the time of her death. She leaves a husband and two daughters; aged 6 and 4 years respectively. Mrs. Gotschall was also a sister of Mrs. D.O.Clark, Mrs. E.N.Cooper, Mrs. Frank Dye, Mrs. Wm. Cuckler, Mrs. L. Welch, Mrs. Fletcher Metcalf, Miss Almira Douglas and Russell Douglas. The funeral took place at 10:30 o'clock Friday morning. [Transcribed by Elaine Balasky]

Telegraph, Meigs County, Ohio September 5, 1888
Willard Halsey, the oldest native of Orange Township, died at his residence last Friday evening after a long illness. The funeral services were conducted by Rev. B. F. McElfresh Sunday morning and the remains were interred in the graveyard at Keebaugh. [Transcribed by Elaine Balasky]

Telegraph, Meigs County, Ohio October 3, 1888
GONE TO REST. - William T. Davis, who has been ailing with the asthma for the past twenty-five years, passed away peacefully Friday evening, after a week's confinement to his bed. He was married in the Church of England to Jane Howells, and they have had ten children, seven of whom survive. The deceased was born in Llandilotalbont, Glen Morgan Shire, Wales, October 13, 1813, and was a resident of this place thirty years. The funeral took place Monday afternoon from the Presbyterian church, conducted by Elder Briggs of the L.D.S. denomination, and was largely attended. The aged wife, four daughters and two sons, all of whom are married, are left to mourn his loss. Henry Davis and wife and David Hopkins and family of Cannelton, W. Va.; Thomas Davis and wife and Mrs. D. Lawrence, of Winifrede, W. Va., David Thomas and wife, of Murray City, Ohio, David Davis, of Glouster, Ohio, John Matthews, of Charleston, Brad Reynolds and wife of Nelsonville, and Mr. Heaton and wife, of Gallipolis, were here to attend the funeral of father Davis. [Transcribed by Elaine Balasky]

Telegraph, Meigs County, Ohio October 24, 1888
PETER NEUTZLING DEAD - Mr. Peter Neutzling, father of Henry Neutzling, died at his son's residence on Mulberry Street Monday night after several days of severe illness. The funeral will take place tomorrow morning from the Catholic Church. The deceased was 78 years of age. [Transcribed by Elaine Balasky]

The Meigs County Republican Wednesday, November 21, 1888
Death in a Mine David C. LEWIS Instantly killed by a fall of slate. This community was shocked on Wednesday morning last by the news which flew from lip to lip that Mr. David C. LEWIS, one of the oldest and best known coal miners in this vicinity, had been crushed to death by a fall of slate in the Diamond Coal Mine, in the upperend of Middleport. An investigation proved that the sad accident was only too true. He went to his work as usual in the early morning, and had been dead perhaps an hour when found. The shock to his family, by whom he was dearly beloved, cannot be described. We knew Mr. LEWIS well, having lived in his immediate vicinity several years, and a better neighbor we never knew; a more quiet , conscientious, orderly, industrious citizen never lived in Middleport. There was "no deviation or shadow of turning" from what he deemed was right in all the years that we knew him. Mr. LEWIS might be properly classed among the pioneers in mining in this vicinity. He was among the few who drove what is now the Diamond Mine in the year 1852. Coal mining in this locality was then in its infancy. The Diamond at that time was the property of the late Hon. V. B. HORTON, and in charge of the late John SAULSBURY, and during different intervals since that time, perhaps twenty years of Mr. LEWIS'S work was done in that mine-and the greater part of it was exclusively in the employ of the Pomeroy Coal Company. Mr. LEWIS was born on a farm and raised there until early manhood-his father being a farmer at that time on a farm called Dinas Fach (or in English Little City.) Cardigan Shire, in South Wales. He was born in August, 1822, and was 66 years and three months old at the time of his death. He was married to Miss Anna JONES in 1846, and emigrated to the United States in 1840. He came to Middleport-then Sheffield-in 1852. During that year his wife and one child were buried, leaving him in a strange land, and unfortunately, a stranger, with two children. In 1853, Mr. LEWIS married Miss Rachel DAVIS. To this union there was one son born-now Mr. Thomas C. LEWIS, of Jackson, Ohio. In July, 1872, his only daughter, Mary, died. The surviving members of his family now are his widow and two sons, Evan and Thomas, who are now in business at Jackson. Mr. LEWIS possessed many traits of character that were worthy of emulation. He was favorably known among his native people during these long years-particularly in the Congregational Church at Pomeroy, which he connected himself with in the year 1852. He lived throughout those years a consistent Christian, respected by all who knew him-frugal and industrious in all his habits, and always encouraging the same by precept and example. But he was cut down suddenly and unexpectedly. He was followed to his long home by a host of friends. The funeral services were held in the Wesleyan Methodist Church, the Rev. Mr. DICK preaching an appropriate sermon from Luke 12: 37 and 38. The discourse was very impressive throughout, and listened to attentively. [Transcribed by Shari (Little) Creech]

Return to the Newspaper page.