Meigs County News For The Year 1900

These pages contain transcriptions of news items published in Meigs County newspapers. They were transcribed from microfilm copies of the originals or from the originals themselves.

Further contributions would be most welcome.

Unknown Meigs County newspaper before 1900
Death's Doings Mrs. Anna Catharine Dilcher, wife of Mr. Henry Dilcher, Sr., of this city died on Friday morning last, of complications of diseases. Mrs. Dilcher was born in Hasseim-Kassel, Germany, on the 29th day of June, 1821, and came to America from Germany, arriving at New York on the 2nd day of July, 1845 and on the 2nd day of August 1846, she was married to Henry Dilcher, and came with her husband to Pomeroy in August 1848. Her maiden name was Lutz. She was buried in Beech Grove Cemetery on Sunday afternoon. She leaves a husband and three sons and a number of grandchildren, and was a member of the German Presbyterian Church. Transcribed by Bethellen Coughran (article provided by Mary Ann Dilcher Norris)

Republican-Herald January 26, 1900
Death of Mrs. Rachel Enoch Rachel Jones was born in Glamorgan, Thixe, Wales, Oct. 31, 1822. She came to American in the year 1863. She was joined in marriage to Daniel Enoch in 1866. She was a resident of Middleport some 35 years. She united with the Baptist church in her native town in Wales. After coming to this country she united with the Welsh Baptist church of Pomeroy. In 1894 she transferred her church membership to the Presbyterian church of Middleport, of which she was a faithful and consistent member at the time of her death. Mrs. Enoch's health has been failing gradually for the past two years. She died Jan. 18, 1900, in her 78th year. She leaves one daughter, one nephew, two nieces, two grandsons, and many other relatives and friends. Mrs. Enoch was a woman who was true and faithful in all her relations in life. Industrious, pains-taking and kind as wife and mother; the obliging and helpful neighbor; always ready to sympathize and help in times of sickness and trouble. She was loved by her friends and neighbors, and indeed, by all who knew her. She will be sadly missed in the home over which she presided for so many years. She died in the faith and hope of the Gospel of Christ and has gone to receive the Christian's reward. [Transcribed by Connie Cotterill Schumaker]

Unknown Meigs County newspaper March, 1900
Henry Dilcher, Sr., known to almost every man in Meigs County, is dead at the age of 79. He owned the Grand Dilcher Hotel building and for many years conducted a shoe store in the room now occupied by the Mecca saloon, on the first floor of the hotel building. Upon the death of his wife a few years ago he moved to Charleston, West Va., where two of his sons were in business, and he has resided there since, coming to this city at intervals to look after his property here. He was a careful businessman and amassed quite a fortune, the hotel which bears his name and a fine farm in Scipio township being a part of his holdings in this county. His death occurred early Tuesday morning, being caused by a general breaking down on the account of age. The remains arrived here yesterday and the funeral will occur this morning at 10 o'clock, in the German Presbyterian Church, conducted by Mr. Hauff, after which the remains will be laid to rest in Beech Grove cemetery. He leaves three sons, William of this city and Henry and Charles of Charleston. *Note added by library (Meigs County Library) In March 1900, Henry Dilcher died at Charleston, West Virginia at the home of his son, Charles Dilcher. The Dilchers had gone to Charleston during what might have been termed the Great Exodus from the bend about 1885 to the latter 1890's. Transcribed by Bethellen Coughran (provided by Janet Reeves Lee)

The Democrat April 19, 1900
Found dead in Bed A Colored Lady's Sudden Death Which is Being Investigated by the Coroner Mrs. Carrie Johnson a colored woman living on Lincoln Hill was found dead in bed Tuesday night about two o clock, by her son John Johnson who was returning from a party. She had been ill the day before but was not considered dangerous and no particular complaint was made that night when the other members of the family retured. Her son John who shines shoes in Scharf's barber shop, attended a party that night and returning home about 2 o'clock knocked on the door and receiving no answer looked in the window beheld his mother lying across the bed dead. A post-mortem examination was held yesterday evening by Coroner Hoppes and Doctors Stobart, Gribble and Crosbie, but the result of their investigation has not been announced. MRS. THOMAS GRADY Our community was very much shocked Saturday by the sudden death of Mrs. Thomas Grady. She had a stroke of paralysis Tuesday night and died Saturday morning about 5 o'clock surrounded by her devoted husband and daughters, conscious to the last. Mrs. Grady calmly and peacefully fell into that slumber from which no mortal wakes again to suffering and pain, aged about 64 years. Mrs. Grady (nee Bridget O Donald) was born Feb. 23, 1836 in Clare county, Ireland. She came to America in August, 1853, and was married in April 1864 to Thomas Grady, at Pomeroy. They located in Syracuse after their marriage and have been residents of this place ever since. To this union was born six children, two sons and four daughters. The two sons died several years ago of smallpox. Her husband and four daughters survive her, Misses Jennie, Ella and Fanny Grady, of Cincinnati, and Mrs. Joseph Matthewson, of this place. The funeral took place Monday at nine o clock at the Catholic church at Pomeroy, conducted by Rev. Father Schneider, and the remains were laid to rest in the Catholic cemetery followed by a large concourse of relatives and friends. Mr. Grady has lost a kind wife and the children a loving mother, whose place can never be filled. To the bereaved family the citizens of Syracuse extend their heartfelt sympathy. The pall bearers were Messrs. Patrick Hogan, Thomas Carroll, John Ryan, Michael Colbert, Thomas Colbert, and John Moriarty. R. A. NEASE R. A. Nease, who had a stroke of paralysis last summer and has been an invalid ever since, had the third stroke Saturday morning and died that evening. Mr. Nease was born Oct. 8, 1841 at Racine and was married to Miss S. R. McCormick, May 19 [13?]m 1867. To this union was born eight children, seven sons and a daughter. His wife and seven children survive him, one son, Floyd, having died in infancy. Those living are: Hamilton, Jacob, George, John, Daniel K., and Charlie, and one daughter, Ella. Mr. Nease was a member of the M. E. church and also of I.O.O.F. Lodge. He was a good citizen and well respected by all who knew him and by his death the community loses a good neighbor and friend. His funeral was preached Monday at the M. E. church by Rev. Henry Pfaltzgraf and participated in by the I.O.O.F. and the remains were laid to rest in the Carleton cemetery. He was 58 years, 5 months, and 26 days old. The pallbearers were Messrs. Jonathan Burnell, R. R. Burnell, Thomas Thomas, Thomas Philips, David [last two names illegible]. [Transcribed by Homer Thiel]

The Democrat (Pomeroy, Ohio) May 3, 1900
Jasper Forrest Dead Jasper Forrest, of Rutland, died Sunday night, Apr. 18. He was a soldier in the Civil War and one of the factory promoters at Rutland. He was 80 years old. He had a cheerful word for everybody. He leaves a host of relatives and friends to mourn their loss. Stephen Browney Stephen Browney, a young colored man who has been working near Sistersville, W. Va., died very suddenly of typhoid fever last Friday. He was brought to Rutland and buried, Monday, Apr. 30th. He was about 32 years old. Suicide by Drowning Robert Russell, an unmarried man aged about 55 years living in Bradbury, committed suicide by drowning last Wednesday night. He was the mail carrier between Middleport and Bradbury and it is thought that the cause of his rash act was the fear of going blind, one eye having been destroyed several years ago by a premature explosion of a cartridge and the other giving him much trouble of late. His body was found early Thursday morning in the muddy waters of Thomas Fork, at a point where the water was hardly four feet deep, this leading to the belief that he had died of his own wish. Coroner Hoppess was summoned and viewed the remains before they had been taken from the water. Wrist Severley Cut. Mont Entsminger, a well known railroad freight conductor, while attempting to board the local at Rutland station, Monday, fell and cut his wrist severely on the sharp lime rock. He will be laid up for a few weeks. Harry Hodge, of the Pomeroy Steam Laundry, who has been suffering from a severe attack of quinsy, is again at work. Hugh Daugherty has been reappointed as guard to the Penitentiary from Meigs county. Athens county gets two guards, David Russell and Hugh Mallen. Transcribed by Homer Thiel

Tribune-Telegraph November 14, 1900
DEATHS - Mrs John Hunnel died at her home in the First Ward, Sunday morning at 11 o'clock. She leaves a husband and 5 children. Funeral services were held Tuesday, conducted by Rev Bond. Burial took place at Minersville. MASTER SCHAEFER -- A 2 year old son of Ed. Schaefer, of the 1st Ward, died Saturday evening. Burial took place at Rocksprings, Monday. BABY PULLINS - The 4 months old son of J J Pullins, of Echo, died Sunday night from scarlet fever. Burial took place Monday. This was one of the twins, the other one was buried 2 months ago. BABY RUSSELL -- The 18 month old child of Milo Russell, died Sunday at Echo from scarlet fever and was buried Tuesday. JAMES SPENCER -- James Spencer, aged 37 years, died Nov. 8 at Bashan from pneumonia. Funeral was held Friday at 2 o'clock. He leaves a family. JOHN HARTLEY -- John Hartley, one of the best known and most respected residents of Syracuse, died at his home there this evening after a short illness from stomach trouble. Deceased was born in Jackson Co., WV 70 years ago and in 1864 moved to Meigs Co, where he has ever since resided. He married Miss Almira Hall, also a native of Jackson Co., WV and to this union were born 7 children, 4 of whom, viz: Chas A Hartley and A Ward Hartley, of Pomeroy, and Mrs John Borham and J Carlos Hartley, of Syracuse, survive him. Funeral will take place Friday at 10 o'clock. [Transcribed by Joel Hartley]

The Democrat (Pomeroy, OH) November 22, 1900
John Hartley The venerable John Hartley, father of Postmaster C. A. Hartley of this city and whose serious illness we mentioned last week died Wednesday evening Nov. 14 at the age of 70 years. He was a highly respected citizen and had lived in the neighborhood in which he died for 36 years. His aged mother died only a few months ago. He leaves four children as follows: C. A. and W. A. Hartley of this city, J. C. Hartley and Mrs. John Borham of Syracuse. He was buried Friday morning at 10 o clock. Thomas Herbert Lyle Thomas Herbert Lyle, a young man 18 years, 9 months and 18 days old, died at the home of his brother near Hanesville last Friday of typhoid fever after a long illness. He was one of a family of ten children made orphans by the death of their father four years ago, their mother having died many years ago. The deceased was an ambitious young man and eager to secure an education and it was while working at a saw mill at Boomer, W. Va., to earn money to keep him in school that he contracted the dread fever. His funeral was held at Hanesville last Sunday, conducted by Rev. Carter and he was laid to rest in the cemetery at that place. The pall-bearers were John Braley, Ernest Hayes, Tod Pickens, Ross Stansbury, and Ray and Von Miller. He leaves four brothers and five sisters who have the sympathy of all in their sad bereavement. Erasmus Chapman Erasmus Chapman, the venerable father of Hon. A. F. Chapman, died at his home in Hartford, W. Va., Tuesday and will be buried today (Thursday). He was 94 years old and was a man who always stood high in the estimation of his friends and neighbors. Died of Heart Failure Owen Curtis, mine boss in Gress bank in mason, W. Va., was found dead in the mine Tuesday morning only a few moments after he had gone in to begin his day's work. When found he was kneeling at the side of the track with both hands clasped over his heart thus indicating that he had suffered great pain there. He was aged about 65 years and was a fine old gentleman, and leaves a wife and a large family of grown up children. There is no possibility of his having met with an accident in the mine that resulted in his death, as there was no mark on his person to indicate an injury. Besides he had lately complained of a pain in the region of his heart. Beasley-Headley George Beasley, late deputy sheriff of Athens county now engaged in merchandizing at Hebbardsville, was united in marriage to Miss Ella Headley of Middleport, at the residence of C. O. Moore in this city Sunday evening, Rev. G. Walton King of the Presbyterian church, officiating. Only a few intimate friends witnessed the ceremony. The groom is one of Athens county's rising young men and the bride is a highly estimable young lady of Middleport. Mr. And Mrs. Beasley have the best wishes of many friends here. They will make their home at Hebbardsville.- Athens Messenger. The bride is the daughter of Thomas Headley, city engineer of Pomeroy, and a most estimable young lady. Her many friends in Pomeroy and Middleport wish herself and husband a happy and prosperous married life. Bad Mr. Nelson Persisted in Stealing Everything He Could Lay Hands On, Against the Wishes of His Wife Emma Nelson has brought suit against her husband, Baker Nelson, on the ground of extreme cruelty and adultery. They were married July 27, 1893, and the husband has divided the time since in robbing his neighbors and doing time in the penitentiary. He broke into the storehouse of A. J. Lee and carried away a lot of goods for which he was sentenced to a term in the penitentiary. When released he burglarized the store of the Woods girls in Athens county and was again convicted and sent to the pen. He later broke into the cellar of a man named S. B. Chalfan and carried away a lot of meat for which crime he was indicted and is now a fugitive from justice. Besides these crimes he often stole fruit, vegetables and chickens, all of which was cruelty towards his wife as she opposed such conduct. In addition to his other offenses he was guilty of adultery with a woman living at Albany, and for all of these things the wife asks to be legally separated from him. The write was filed early last week. [Transcribed by Homer Thiel]

Republican-Herald November 29, 1900
Harriet Useba Clark (nee Hutchinson) was born June 17, 1830 near Pomeroy, and all her life lived near her old home. She died November 30, 1900, aged 70 years. She was united in marriage to Lorenzo Clark March 1, 1849. This union was blessed with eleven children, seven boys and four girls; two children preceded her in infancy to the spirit world. She joined the M.E. church when but a girl. Shortly after her marriage she with her husband joined the Christian Order church at Clark's Chapel, Pine Grove, Ohio. She lived a consistent, christian life until death. When it came she expressed to her family and friends that stood around her couch, "I am ready to go. All is well." The children all had the pleasure of visiting mother before her departure. She leaves a husband and nine children, viz.: J. W. Clark, Maitland, MO; Mrs. W. Grover, Kyger; Dr. W. A. Clark, Wichita, Kan.; Alonzo, Charles and Benjamin Clark of Knowlton, Iowa; Mrs. Emma Ewing, Industry, PA; A. A. Clark and Mrs. H. C. Wilson, Pine Grove; also a brother Benjamin Hutchinson, Circleville, and a sister, Mrs. Henry Johnson, Maitland, Mo. and a large circle of friends to mourn their loss which is her eternal gain. Funeral services were conducted by the writer at Clark's Chapel, Pine Grove November 5, in the presence of a crowded house. [Transcribed by Connie Cotterill Schumaker]

Republican-Herald December 7, 1900
Mary M., daughter of Sidney A. and Elizabeth Stewart, was born at Long Bottom, Ohio, May 31st, 1852, and died Nov. 27th, 1900, age 48 years, 5 months and 27 days. She united with the Methodist Church in 1864, when about 12 years of age and continued a faithful member all through life. She was married Nov. 16th, 1871, to Clinton A. Roberts. Six children were born to them, five of whom William G., Ethel M., Rita S., Clarence F. and Avery M., are living, and one Sherwood K., is dead. She was a kind, loving, devoted wife and mother, whose whole mind seemed bent on making her home happy. She gave her best efforts to training her children to follow in the straight and narrow path. Her home was for many years a house of prayer. Morning and evening the Holy Word was read and she took her turn with her husband in leading in prayer, and in his absence carried on the word alone. She wore her Bibles out with use, and the ones she has used that have been kept are written through with dates when certain chapters were read. She was faithful in her church work when her health permitted to attend. Why in the Providence of God, her life was permitted to go out in the blackness of midnight, eternity alone can reveal. But we know that God dwells in the thick darkness, and although clouds and darkness are round about Him, yet Justice and Judgment are the habitation of his throne. Funeral services were held at the Methodist Episcopal Church, at Long Bottom on Thursday, Nov. 29, conducted by Rev. Lorenzo R. Swan. [Transcribed by Connie Cotterill Schumaker]

Republican-Herald December 28, 1900
KILLED HIS BROTHER (From Tribune-Telegraph) One boy lying cold in death, the other behind prison bars awaiting trail for his murder, a widowed mother grief stricken and bowed down in sorrow is the terrible tragedy of last Sunday. Herbert Romine, crazed with drink, deliberately shot down his younger brother, Lester, in cold blood. "I am going to get on a h- - l of a drunk and then swear off," was the remark made by Herbert Romine the day before the tragedy as he bought a jug of whiskey while in Pomeroy. He drank heavily that night and the following forenoon (Sunday) and in the afternoon, he, in company with his brother, Lester, went over to the home of their uncle, Bart Romine. They spent the afternoon very sociably visiting and playing games. Lester and a daughter of Bart engaged in a game of dominoes. During the game, Herbert, who was watching them, would slip dominoes to Miss Romine, thereby enabling her to win the greater share. He followed this by taunting Lester of his inability to win. They had some words over this but the matter passed by and they started for home to do the evening's chores. Upon reaching the yard, Lester playfully reached up and knocked off his brother's hat. He had a corn husker on his hand and in striking at the hat the husker hit Herbert on the forehead, making a small abrasion of the skin. At this Herbert quietly remarked, "You do that again and I'll shoot you." Little did the dead boy dream that the brother, whom he had played with since childhood, would carry out his deadly threat and as he had often done before, no doubt, he innocently stepped forward and knocked it off again. The playful act cost him his life, for true to his word Herbert whipped out his revolver and holding it within about three feet of the brother he snapped the trigger. Providence, it seems, was attempting to avoid the terrible tragedy and gave the drunken man a moment in which to reflect his terrible deed as the cartridge failed to explode, but nothing could check the murderous desire and again the trigger was pulled and Lester Romine fell with a bullet piercing his side. Not yet satisfied with his horrible work, the murderer leaned over the prostrated form and snapped the revolver again but it failed to discharge. By this time the horrified spectators had realized that a crime had been committed and Bart Romine rushed forward and knocked Herbert down and took the revolver from him. The wounded man was able to regain his feet and walk to the house where medical assistance was immediately given him but to no avail. On Christmas eve just as the sun went down the soul was released from the suffering body and took its flight. Shortly before death came to forever seal the lips of the murdered man he was asked if he had any ill will against Herbert. "None," he replied, "I always loved him and he would not have shot me had he not been drunk, and I forgive him." These were almost the last words he spoke. No blame nor word or censure had the sufferer for his slayer, the brother with whom he had played since childhood, with whom he had grown to manhood and loved as dearly even more than life itself. Beside him, stood the mother with a breaking heart, watching the life slowly ebbing out and looking into the blank future, her boy gone and nothing to live for, a terrible Christmas story. On Monday, the day following the shooting, Deputy Sheriff W. L. Willock and Marshal Hamilton went out to the home in Rutland township, about three miles north of Rutland, and arrested Herbert Romine and placed him in jail, charged with murder in the second degree. A representative of the Tribune-Telegraph interviewed him at the jail and in response to a question as to whether the shooting was accidental or intentional, he replied, "It was both accident and intentional, I shot him and they can do what they like with me. I don't know much about it." His attorney, A. I. Hutchinson, advised him to keep still and further than this he refused to say anything. He appeared to be very much excited, having just learned a few minutes previous that his brother was dead. On Christmas Day, Coroner Hoppes held the inquest and found that death was due to a gun shot wound from the hand of Herbert Romine. Drs. Stobart and Bean held a post mortem examination on the body and found the bullet had entered about three inches below the heart and passed nearly through the body, lodging against the back of the abdominal cavity, death resulting from inflammation. The preliminary hearing was held before Squire Donnally, Wednesday morning. He entered a plea of not quilty and was bound over to the grand jury on $1,500 bond, which he was unable to give and was returned to jail. His request to attend the funeral, which was held Wednesday afternoon, was refused. [Herbert and Lester Romine were sons of George Romine and Asenia M. Brown married October 08, 1854 Meigs Co., Ohio. George Romine was the son of Elias Romine and Ruth Ann Williams married July 10, 1831 Meigs Co., Ohio. Elias Romine's parentage has not been proved.] [Transcribed by Connie Cotterill Schumaker]

Return to the Newspaper page.