Meigs County News For The Year 1921

These pages contain transcriptions of news items published in Meigs County newspapers. They were transcribed from microfilm copies of the originals or from the originals themselves.

Further contributions would be most welcome.

Pomeroy Tribune-Telegraph January 12, 1921
Obituary Margaret Elizabeth, daughter of Jesse and Magdaletha (?) GANDEE was born at Pond Creek, Jackson Co., WV, 9 August 1843. She died at Columbus, Ohio, 29 Dec. 1920 being 77 years, 4 months, and 20 days. She was married to Rev. James W. BUSH, 1 Jan. 1866..... by 6 children: Jesse Clay, Ellsworth, Maggie May, Jesse Grant, John Eureka, and Charles W. of Columbus, Ohio. ....two sisters, Mrs. Ezra BUSH, Syracuse, Ohio, Mrs. Thomas FISHER, Morrill, Kansas, and three brothers, Levi and Abram GANDEE of Spiller, Samuel GANDEE of Ashtabula, Ohio She was united with the M.C. church at an early age. [Transcribed by Charlotte Rowley]

Pomeroy Tribune-Telegraph February 2, 1921
John (Shorty) BRYANT, a young colored man of Wyllis Hill, was arrested Friday on a warrant charging him with shooting with intent to kill Alvy Clark, colored, on the evening of 3 January in Clark's door yard on Wyllis Hill. He was held for the grand jury by Justice Ranson Fish, under bond of $500.00, which he gave and was released. [Transcribed by Charlotte Rowley]

Pomeroy Tribune-Telegraph February 9, 1921
Rutland John SPIRES resumed his taxi dution(?) Monday after 2 weeks vacation with the flu. Middleport Frank MURRAY, wife and son (John) moved into rooms on 2nd Street with Vance Stewart, cancelling their move to Oregon (?) on account of Mrs. Murray's health. Mr. & Mrs. Charles MURRAY of Bloomfield visited sisters D. L. Sansbury and Alice Sidenstricker. [Transcribed by Charlotte Rowley]

Pomeroy Tribune-Telegraph February 14, 1921
Mason, West Virginia Mrs. Lucy MURRAY SHANK of Parkersburg was an over Sunday guest of the George BURSON home. [Transcribed by Charlotte Rowley]

Pomeroy Tribune-Telegraph March 2, 1921
Uncle Hinton SPIRES returned from Medina County last week where he has been for some time with his daughter, Mrs. Grace Utsinger [Transcribed by Charlotte Rowley]

Pomeroy Tribune-Telegraph March 23, 1921
ANDY MITCH Andy MITCH died at his home in Minersville Saturday morning, March 19, 1921. Had he lived until the 11th of April he would have been 66 years of age. Deceased had been a sufferer from a complication of disease for a number of years and the past year or so has been bedfast, cared for most tenderly by his young daughter, Mabel. He was married twice there being one daughter, Mrs. Emmet CLARK, of New Brighton, PA., by the first marriage and the second wife was Miss Maria PHILLIPS, who preceded him several years ago leaving a little daughter, Mabel, mentioned above. Besides his daughters he leaves to mourn five brothers and two sisters, as follows: Will, of W. Virginia; Stephen, of Claysville, O.; Jacob, of Pittsburg; George, of Columbus; Mrs. Kate DeVINNEY, of Pittsburg; and John and MRs. George PHILLIPS of Minersville. The funeral was held Monday afternoon at the home conducted by Rev. Lama of the Bethany M. E. church. -------------------------------------------- MARRIED AT PT. PLEASANT A pretty wedding, with a tinge of romance, was solemnized Thursday, March 17, at Pt. Pleasant when Roy SPENCER of Minersville, and Miss Bertha YOST of Bowmans Run were made husband and wife, Rev. S. A. Rickett, pastor of the M. E. church officiating. --------------------------------------------------- DEATH OF MASON LADY Mrs. George GRESS passed away Thursday evening at her home at Mason following a long illiness from a complication of diseases. She was aged 54 years and is survived by her husband and seven children. The funeral services were held Monday morning from the Catholic church, interment following in the Catholic cemetery. ----------------------------------------------- PRETTY HOME WEDDING Sunday evening at four o'clock a pretty wedding took place at Racine when Henry P. FEIGER of Pomeroy and Mrs. Mary HAYS of Racine were united in the bonds of holy wedlock, Rev. H. B. PILCHARD, pastor of the M. E. church officiating. Mrs. FEIGER is well known in and about Racine where she is highly esteemed and Mr. FEIGER is one of the popular conductors on the local street car line. ----------------------------------------------------------- LEIFHEIT BUYS MIDDLEPORT HOME Former Pomeroy Photographer Takes Over J. B. Downing Home at $8,000 ---------- Frank J. LEIFHEIT, a former Pomeroy photographer, but who a few years ago got into the more profitable business of handling coal lands, has contracted to take over the splendid John B. DOWNING residence on the corner of upper Third and Walnut streets, in Middleport at a price of $8,000, it is reported. (a picture of Frank LEIFHEIT appears here) This is a splended modern property and has been the home of that hustling business man, Mr. DOWNING, for many years, and is located in a desirable residential district. It is a frame, two stories in height and consists of eight rooms and a bath. It will make a fine home for Mr. LEIFHEIT and family. The DOWNINGs will move into the old family brick on Second St. as soon as the building, which has not been occupied since the death of Mr. DOWNING's parents several years ago, can be overhauled and somewhat remodeled. [Transcribed by Charlotte Rowley]

Pomeroy Tribune-Telegraph March 25, 1921
PLANTS--Mar. 28; Mrs. Kate Wolfe of Jacksonville visited relatives here recently. G.A. Lawson and wife of Union, W.Va., spent from Friday until Sunday here the guests of friends and relatives. Born to Mr. and Mrs. Harry Manuel, a fine son, grandson to Edward Manuel and wife. Mrs. Lib Pickens and Mrs. Nancy Bowles of Antiquity spent Wednesday with Mrs. N.C. Sayre. George Luther of Jacksonville, Ohio, visited relatives here recently. Pete Holfe and wife spent Easter with the latter's parents, Mr. and Mrs. Geo. Sayre of Antiquity. Rev. Moon and wife of Racine called on Mrs. N. C. Sayre, Sunday. It has been announced that Rev. Hilson will fill his appointment here on next Sunday afternoon, April 3rd, instead of Sunday evening owing to the protracted meeting at Apple Grove. LONG BOTTOM--Mar. 26; Postmaster A. F. Swan has received a notice that beginning April 1st the local post office will be an international money order office. Ernestine Smeeks and three brothers of Parkersburg spent the week here. Elmer Schreiber, who is employed on a boat at Pittsburg, spent Saturday and Sunday with his parents G. F. Schreiber and wife. G. W. Cowdery has sold his farm to his brother, W. M. Cowdery of Ravenswood and will sell his personal property at public sale April 12. Josephine Byers, who is attending high school at Williamstown spent Sunday at home. C. E. Congrove spent several days last week at Dravosburg, Pa., on business. Elwood Sherman of Racine visited relatives and friends here last week. At a meeting of the telephone company last week Mr. and Mrs. Fred Harkins were hired as operators. W. T. Bahr and wife were the over Sunday guests of the latter's parents at Alfred. [Transcribed by Susan Kuhl]

Pomeroy Tribune-Telegraph April 6, 1921
GRIMM, Anthony J., born at Pomeroy 24 November 1858 and departed this life 19 March 1921, aged 62 years, 4 months, and 25 days. His Mother, Father and Wife proceded him in death. He leaves one son, one daughter, three brothers, one sister, 10 grand-children and a host of friends and relatives. [Transcribed by Charlotte Rowley]

Pomeroy Tribune-Telegraph April 10, 1921
RUTLAND NEWS Clel SPIRES is erecting a garage on his lot near his store and is converting the old creamery building near by into a dwelling house. [Transcribed by Charlotte Rowley]

Pomeroy Tribune-Telegraph April 13, 1921
Death of Mrs Gertrude KORN at her home on Breezy Heights, Sunday at 11 p.m. age 91 years, 3 months, 4 days, funeral to be held at the Catholic Church Thursday. Her father was the first German settler in Pomeroy. She leaves a large family. Two of the sons are Peter Korn of Canada and Henry KORN of Pittsburg. [Transcribed by Charlotte Rowley]

Pomeroy Tribune-Telegraph April 27, 1921
Boy Dies at Kerrs Run On Tuesday morning Edgar Franklin SHOEMAKER, son of Mr & Mrs. Lafayette SHOEMAKER, died at their home in Kerrs Run, the upperend of Pomeroy. He died from dropsy at age 7 years, 6 months, and 18 days. [Transcribed by Charlotte Rowley]

Pomeroy Tribune-Telegraph May 4, 1921
OBITUARY Amelia Martha, daughter of Rufus and Mary P. MURRAY, was born in Middleport, Ohio, April 30, 1842. Her school days were spent in that village when there were only a few houses scattered about. She began teaching while quite young and taught several terms. In October, 1862, she was married to Lewis HYSELL, who passed away April 1, 1910. Three daughters were born to this union: Mrs. Vivie HINDS of Columbus; Mrs. Bertha POWNALL of Pomeroy, and Mrs. Mittie LYMAN of Columbus, Ohio. Four grandsons, two granddaughters and six great-grandchildren also survive. She leaves two sisters, Mrs. Horace CHURCH of Columbus, O., and Mrs. Nevada RALPH of Rutland, and one brother, Charles H. MURRAY, of Fort Worth, Texas. For almost eight years she has been afflicted with paralysis, and suffered exceedingly, especially during the last few months of her life. She was patient in her suffering and a kind, loving mother. After being confined to her bed almost five months, she passed peacefully away April 29, 1921, at 2 p.m. at the POWNALL residence, where she had made her home. Services were conducted by Rev. L. L. Cherrington, pastor of Simpson Methodist Episcopal church, of which she was a member, and burial was made in Beech Grove cemetery. --------------------------------------------- Commencement Thurs. evening is the regular commencement with Hon. Vernon REYEL, State Supt. of Schools, as principal speaker. Miss Clarabel STRONG is occupying a room at Mrs. Clay SMITH's. W. G. Hutton returned to Ross county last week, after a brief visit with home folks. Miss Edna HOLT went to Athens Monday to register for summer work at the University, but will return for graduation at the High School here. Miss Ruth BACKNER of Side Hill, is visiting village friends Saturday and Sunday. Rev. LOCKWOOD has got one of his castleberg(?) houses along so that he has moved into it and is pushing work rapidly on both buildings. Mrs. George CARTER and son, Ewing, are Columbus visitors this week. Herb WARNER ditched his atuomobile again, this time near Saint Russell's, smashing the front posts. George CARTER has fallen in line with the village improvements and erected a commodious shed in front of his refreshment parlor and has ??? and painted the shed in front of his pool room. Del RICE has been doing the painting. Master George SCHMOLL of Middleport, accompanied by his parents, was a week end visitor with his grand parents, Mr. and Mrs. H. P. SKINNER, of Leading Creek. [Transcribed by Charlotte Rowley]

Pomeroy Tribune-Telegraph August 24, 1921
WILL OF LEVI W. GANDEE The will of Levi W. Gandee, witnessed by B.F. Hayes and C.E. Hayman and executed Nov. 5, 1918, was probated last Thursday. The testator, who was a well known resident of Lebanon township, left all his real and personal property to his wife, Margaret C. Gandee, during her, natural life or her widowhood. She is given the right to sell and make deeds for the real estate, which consists of about 112 acres, should it become necessary to do so. The privilege of selling, leasing or optioning the coal under 80 acres and the right to lease for oil and other minerals under the real estate are given to the widow the money arising from the same to be under her control. At the death of Margaret C. Gandee, who was named and has been appointed executrix, all the property is to be divided among all the children as follows: George, Uniontown, PA.; Joseph, Jessie and Lois Circle, Portland, R.D.; Mollie Bookman, Long Bottom, R.D. 4; Rena Gandee Allen and Wick Gandee, Mt Victory, Ohio; Lucy Sheets, Mill Point, W. Va.; Dudley, Marion, Ohio. [Transcribed by Charlotte Rowley]

Pomeroy Tribune-Telegraph August 31, 1921
BRUTAL MIDNIGHT MURDER Planned and Executed for Robbery in the Wicked Section of Tanner's Run -------- G. W. Beegle Shot and Killed by Three Local Bandits, One of the number said to be his step grandson. -------- HARRY BLAND LANDED IN JAIL THE FIRST DAY AND MAKES A FULL CONFESSION -------- Some Clever Work by Sheriff Reeves and his Assistants in the Matter of Swift and Sure Moves. ----------- Meigs County has another brutal murder case on hands with all the seeming elements of premeditation and planning, and with robbery as the motive. G. W. Beegle, aged 68, his wife of about the same age and a blind son of hers lived on a lonely road near Saxon on Tanner's Run at a point about half-way from the main Portland road to the mouth of the stream at the river. They kept a little store. Recently Mr. Beegle went to Parkersburg for treatment for paralysis at a hospital there. He returned home last Thursday. It was of common report that he had considerable money about the house, the general belief being that it was as much as five hundred dollars. Last Sunday night three men appeared at that lonely home at about 11 o'clock, it was danky dark. They prepared a way for what they had in mind, by cutting the telephone wire leading from the Beegle home to that of the neighbors, to prevent calling for help or in sounding an alarm after the contemplated job was over. In the stillness of the night the three approached the door and rapped on it. Mrs. Beegle first heard them. They rapped again and she aroused her husband. He got up and lighted a lamp and asked what was wanted. They told him that they were fox hunters and had run out of tobacco and wanted to buy some. By that time Mrs. Beegle was up and went to the store room with her husband. When the opened the door one of the men entered and began handling the tobacco. He picked up a piece and took a chow from it. His compaions seemed slow to enter. The one inside called out for one of them to come in and pay for the tabacco, as he had no money. None came in. Then he went to the door and had some conversation with those on the outside. Then he returned followed by one of the men. The second one coming in said they wanted tobacco, but that they had no money to pay for it. At that Mr. Beegle said that he could not trust any one for goods, particularly strangers, and would have to have the money. At that the second one that came in pulled out a revolver and commanded the old man to put up his hands and give up what money he had in the house. The aged wife stood by and heard and saw all that went on. Instead of putting up his hands the old man started around the end of the counter toward a shot gun that stood handy. About that time the first one that entered fired toward the counter, behind which the old man had reached by that time. The bullet, a thirty-eight calibre, went thru the counter and broke the victim's leg between the knee and ankle. At that instant the wife handed the shot gun to her husband, while he hung to the counter and tried to keep himself from falling. The one of the bandits who had come in second clinched with the old man and did what he could to prevent their intended victim from doing execution with the gun. Just then the one who had first entered the room approached the two who were struggling over the gun, and reaching over his companion in crime and fired point blank at the breast of the old man with seven-inch barrel twenty-two calibre revolver. He was so close that the fire from the muzzle of the revolver set his shirt to burning and made a great hole in it. The old man relaxed then and fell backwards, and the two in the house ran out and was joined by the third, who had never got nearer than the door. As Beegle fell back he asked his wife to call Mocneys(?) neighbors, as he was dying. She ran to the telephone and then first found that the wires had been cut. She ran back and told him that the telephone was not working, and he asked her to get word to the neighbors in some other way. Just then the blind stepson of Mr. Beegle a son by his wife before she married Beegle, set up a screaming that someone was trying to get in his window. She ran to him, and when she returned to her husband a few seconds later he was dead. The old mother and the blind son were so badly frightened that they locked up the house and went to the home of a neighbor, leaving the corpse as it fell. Sheriff Reeves and Coroner Ewing went to the scene of the murder early Monday morning. The coroner found that the fatal bullet had entered at the center of the breast and went all most straight thru the body being removed from the back. The body was brought to the Biggs undertaking rooms to be prepared for burial, it having been badly cut up in finding the bullets. The sheriff immediately took up the trail and followed the trio toward the Ohio River. He was ably assisted by relatives of the dead man and the neighbors who flocked to the scene. They found where they had slept in a barn near Apple Grove the latter part of the night. From there they were tracked across the river. At Millwood, W. Va., Sheriff Reeves came upon a young man hidden in the bushes who filled the description of one of the murderes. The sheriff had the drop on him before the fugitive saw the officer. He was immediately arrested and brought over to the Ohio side. He protested that he could not be brought across the river without his consent, but was brought anyhow. He proved to be Harry Lee Bland, a son of George Bland of Middleport. He is twenty-eight years of age, and has been a mighty bad boy all his life. After leaving Middleport he went to East Liverpool, where he married a woman. Recently he beat her in a most brutal manner. A warrant was issued for his arrest, but he got away before it was served on him. He came down to the Tanner's Run region, and fell in with the other two, and the three of them planned the robbery of the old man the Friday night before. They were overheard making the plans. The old man had just returned from the hospital the day before and they supposed that he had whatever money he owned with him. It so happened, however that when he went to the hospital he left his money, some eight hundred dollars, with his son Homer at Ravenswood, for safe keeping, and as a matter of fact had but little money in the house. Bland was brought to jail late Monday evening and it is said later fully confessed to taking part in the killing and was the one who fired the shot that broke the old man's leg. He gave the names of the others with him, one being Pearl Hawthorne, aged 19, a step grandson of the slain man. This boy was sent to the reform school from Meigs County within the last two years and had not been back long. Recently it is stated that he stole some chickens from Beegle and sold them. For this he was given thrashing by Beegle. At that the boy swore vengeance and went so far as to say that he would kill his step-grandfather. During the whole time, however he did not enter the house, according to Bland's story. It was his part to climb into a window and get the old man's money, which was kept in a drawer where the blind man was located. His trying to get into the window was what caused the blind one to scream. Bland implicated William Norris, a neighbor boy, 19 years of age as firing the fatal shot. He says that he and Norris were they only ones in the room, that he fired the first shot that broke the old man's leg and Norris fired the second and fatal shot. At the time Bland was captured the other two had separated from him and went up the railroad track from Millwood toward Murrayville. The sheriff sent a posse after them on a motor (????) car and another by means of an automobile. The fugitives escaped to the woods, however, and had not been captured Tuesday morning. The dead man is reputed to have been a good citizen, industrious and honest. He followed farming and carpentry mostly and worked in Pomeroy at the latter trade within the past few months, being employed on the big Beegle tenement house. He was smooth-shaven, trim and active for one of his years. CAPTURED AT RIPLEY Hawthore and Norris were captured at Ripley, W.V. by West Virginia officers at about 10 o'clock Tuesday forenoon and placed in the Ripley jail. The officers here were notified. At the time sheriff Reeves and Prosecutor Davis with Edgar Morris were at the scene of the murder. On receiving the word here Deputies Robert Roush and W. H. Thompson started for Ripley with the expectations of picking up the sheriff on the way. When they reached Dorcas they found that the Sheriff had got the word and was on his way to Ripley with the prosecutor and Mr. Morris. They got the bandits and were soon back on Ohio soil with them, and had them in the Pomeroy jail at 8 o'clock Tuesday evening, less than forty-eight hours after the crime was commited. Both the boy's confessed fully and corroborated the story told by Bland in every particular. Norris himself says that he fired the fatal shot. ------------------------------------ Before committing the dastardly deed Bland worked one day and two hours on the Apple Grove dam under the name of Harry Lee. Several years ago he served a term in the reformatory for robbing some one. Later he beat up his mother and left the country. In the jail he now swaggers around like a moving picture actor with a cigarette or a cigar in the corner of his mouth. When cornorer Ewing reached the scene he found the dead man lying as he fell dressed in shirt and drawers. Mr. Beegle left four sons and four daughters by his first marriage. They are Rush and J.E. Beegle, of New Brighton, PA.; Mrs. Elsa McCracken, of PA.; Homer E. Beegle, produce man at Ravenswood; Mrs. Clyde Smith, of Kanuaga; Mrs. Frank Ross, of Spiller; Mrs. Cozart, of Racine, and Oakley Beegle, a contractor, of Charleston. Elmer Beegle, the Pomeroy produce man, was near Pittsburg with his wife and son-in-law, Harry Simpson when the word reached him, but as it came to him it was that his father had been murdered. They packed up and left immediately for home. They reached Lancaster, Ohio Monday night, when they telephoned home to Mrs. Simpson when they first learned who was really killed. One of the pathetic features of the case happened Monday afternoon. A fine automobile rolled into Racine and a man got out to get some gasoline. A Raciner walked over to him and began to condon with him over the awful calamity that had befallen the family. In the automobile were the two sons of Mr. Beegle and the daughter from Pennsylvania. They were on their way to visit their father. They had not heard of what had happened until informed by the Racine man. They went on out and undertaker Ewing was just leaving with the body when they got there. Bland is a brother-in-law of Norris, having married his sister who is now in East Liverpool. Bland stole a motor cycle there and he and Norris came to Meigs County in it. The three murderers slept in Arthur Norris barn at East Letart the latter part of Sunday night. There they hid their revolvers and shirts, and Monday morning all three went to work on the Apple Grove dam. Edgar Morris digged all the revolvers and clothing from under the floor of the barn and the prosector now has the whole outfit. The history of young Norris is not very promising. He ia an orphan, a son of Lon Norris Jr., who fell off a bridge at Wheeling when the boy was seven years of age and was drowned. His mother came back to Plants, where they owned a little farm, and where she married a man named Blake. She died about five years ago. Yound Norris had been working at East Liverpool. He returned to Meigs county just a short time ago. The remains of the murdered man were taken from the Biggs morgue in Pomeroy Wednesday morning at 10 o'clock to the church at Dorcas, a village back of Racine, the old home of the deceased where the funeral was held at 12 o'clock. The burial was in the Plants cemetery above Antiquity. The grand jury has been called in for next Tuesday morning to take up the murder cases of Bland, Howthorne and Norris. It is expected that they will get speedy trials. [Transcribed by Charlotte Rowley]

Pomeroy Tribune-Telegraph September 24, 1921
BLAND, NORRIS AND HAWTHORNE ARRAIGNED -------------------- TRIALS SET, JURY DRAWN AND ATTORNEYS ASSIGNED TO DEFEND THOSE NOT ABLE TO HIRE SAME ------------------------ Harry Lee Bland, William Norris and Pearl Hawthorne, the alleged murderers of G. W. Beegle on the night of August 28th, were brought into court to plead to the first degree murder last Thursday morning, Sept. 8th, the second day after the indictments were found. They all pleaded not guilty. The relatives and friends of Norris had employed A.D. Russell to defend him, but the others had no attorneys, so the court appointed ex-prosecutor Peoples to defend Bland, and Emmett Peoples to defend Hawthrone. This is required by law in first degree cases, where the accused are not able to employ councel of their own. It is stated the Attorney Crow will assist the prosecutor in the cases. The trial of Bland is set down for Monday, Sept. 26, that of Norris for Thursday, Sept. 22, but that of hawthorne has not yet been set. The sheriff, the Prosecuting Attorney and the clerk of Courts proceeded immediately to draw a ....venire of thirty-six from the jury wheel to be in the court room on the morning of the 25th, from which an effort will be made to secure a jury to try Bland. Of the first venire drawn there is said to be five women of the thirty-six. Three of them are prominent Pomeroy women. This is the first instance in the history of Meigs County in which the names of women appear in jury venire. The first woman's name out of the box was that of Mrs. Captain Tom Jones, of Middleport. She has the distinction of being the first woman drawn for jury service in the county. Those from Pomeroy are Miss Cady Whaley, Mrs. M.C. Hartinger and Mr. Ed. H. Scharf. --------------------------------- BLAND IN ANOTHER KILLING. --------- It now developes that this is not the first blood on the hands of Bland. Last Friday morning a detective from Youngstown appeared here with a stenographer and went to the county jail to see Bland, who was suspected of being one of two parties who shot an Italian for the purpose of robbery at Butler, PA, two years ago. When first approached by the detective Bland denied any knowledge of the crime, but a phony confession from the other fellow was read in which it was charged that Bland fired the fatal shot in that case. This brought a full confession from Bland. He said that he had, but denied that he did the shooting. He said that after they killed the man they went to his home and got the wine and hung it in a stream to hide it and to keep it cool for drinking purposes. The other fellow has been captured and the Bland confession will be used in his case. It is said also that Bland served a term in the Pennslyvania for rape.

Pomeroy Tribune-Telegraph September 26, 1921
THE THREE MURDERS OF GEORGE BEEGLE WILL BE PLACED ON TRIAL FOR THEIR LIVES --------------- In Less Than a Month From the Date of the Crime They Will Know Their Fates in all Human Probability ------------------ It is announced that the trials of the indicted murders of George Washington Beegle will be called on Monday, Sept. 26, twenty days after the finding of the indictments of murder in the first degree, and two days less than a month after the crime was committed. ------------------------ BOUND OVER The first step was taken last Friday afternoon in the murder trials of Bland, Norris and Hawthorne on the charge of having murdered George Washington Beegle on the night of August 28. Norris was at first brought out before Justice Ransom Fish, before whom prosecutor Davis had sworn out a warrant for him charging murder in the first degree. The relatives of Norris who is said to be eighteen years of age, had raised sufficient money to employed attorney A. D. Russell to look after his case. When brought in by instructions of his attorney he waived examination and was bound over to the grand jury without bond. He was followed by Bland, who had no attorney and who pleaded not guilty and was bound over to the grand jury without bond. It was found that Hawthorne is under 18 years of age having been born according to the probate court records on February 22, 1904, and accordingly his case had to go thru the juvenile court before Judge Carleton. Three witnesses were examined---Sheriff Reeves, Deputy Ashworth and deputy Morris. After hearing the testimony Judge Carleton bound the youth over to the common pleas court and fixed the bond at $20,000, indefault of which the accused went back to his cell in the jail to await the action of the grand jury. By this time all the accused began to see the gravity of the situation and manifested symptoms of fear and remorse. Hawthorne seemed the most down-hearted. Even the blazo Bland was seriousness itself. SPEEDING UP It looks like the murderers of old man George Washington Beegle are to have speedy trials. With the grand jury finding first degree murder indictments against all three the first of the week, nine days after the crime was committed, the decks are cleared for a prompt hearing. The law in murder cases is that trials may be held after fifteen days after indictments are returned. This would make it possible to go to trial in these cases the last week in this month, which will probably be done. Any of the prisoners who do not have attorneys by the time the trial comes on will be supplied with the same by the court at the expense of the taxpayers, this being required by the law. It will be necessary to issue special venire of jurymen, consisting of thirty-six names drawn from the jury wheel. If a jury is not secured out of this number more names will be drawn from the wheel until a jury is secured. The charge in all the cases is murder in the first degree, which sets a different procedure in motion than the legal machinery in crimes of less degree, in such case the jury may find murder in the first degree murder in the second degree, manslaughter or even assult. In case of first degree it requires one hundred days before the sentence of the court can be fully executed. JAIL CLOSED TO VISITORS. The situation the latter part of last week seemed to warrant the court in issuing an order forbidding visitors to the county jail until the excitement iniihent(?) to the murder dies down. In fact, it was feared one night that there would possibly be a lynching relatives of the dead man. In the absence of the sheriff at Columbus, where he had gone to deliver George Butcher, of Rutland, to the workhouse for a year's service for neglecting his aged mother, the court himself went to the jail, called the prosecuting attorney, deputy Buck Moore and deputy Edgar Morris. They guarded the jail all night as a precaution on the theory that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Nothing came of the scare, however, except to bring about the order above mentioned. IT WOULD BE COSTLY A lynching of the three accused in this case would be costly to the taxpayers of the county. There is a law in this state that the heirs of one lynched may recover from the country where such lynching takes place the sum of five thousand dollars. Better not do it. The law will speedily take care of them. FLURRY AT SYRACUSE When the news of the murder reached Syracuse it was said that he was killed by fishermen camped near his home. This set the good wives of the town in a flurry of excitement, as many of the husbands of the twon were camped at the mouth of Tanner's Run, among the number being John Bohram, Nathan Ephram, Walter Duckworth and many others. It was a great relief to get a corrected report of the killing. THE GRAND JURY AT WORK According to orders of the court the old grand jury was called Tuesday morning to consider the case of the killing of G. W. Beegle on the night of August 28th. No other cases will be considered at this time. When they were in their places the court briefly instructed them in their duties and they were set to work at once. Twenty-five witnesses were summoned before this body including the wife of the dead man and her blind son. The grand jurors are; Elmer E. Vining, John T. Arnold, Charles E. Price, C.P. Dutton, C.B. Smith, W.O. Crow, E.E. Ashley, G.F. Carleton, Charles Radford, George V. Beal, J.M.Spencer, W.K.Smart, W.J.Krider, John Ackley and John Davis. [Transcribed by Charlotte Rowley]

Pomeroy Tribune-Telegraph September 28, 1921
BLAND GOES TO ELECTRIC CHAIR ------------------ Norris and Hawthorne Each Sentenced to Life Imprisonment in the Ohio Penitentiary ------------------ Dramatic Scenes in the Old Temple of Justice When the Murderers of G. W. Beegle are Brought to Book. ------------------ The awful Responsibility Placed on the Shoulders of Judge Miller When the Juries are Eliminated in the Cases ------------------ Swift and Sure Justice Follows One of the Most Cruel Murders in Meigs County ------------------ Harry Lee Bland is to go to the electric chair in the Ohio penitentiary on Monday, January 9th, 1921, for the murder of George Washington Beegle, 105 days from the date of his sentence and 133 days from the date of his crime. William Marvin Norris, the second in the trio of confessed murderers, was sentenced for life in the Ohio penitentiary with the 28th day of August of every year in solitary confinement, that he may think of the crimes he committed. Pearl Hawthorne, the dead man's step-grandson, sentenced to life in the Ohio penitentiary. These were the high spots in the dramatic scene in old Meigs county .................Sept. 26. The old temple on Justice never contained a more tense crowd, than that which with taut nerves awaited the awful doom that was expected to fall on the heads of the three murderers of Mr. Beegle. But once before had the death sentence been legally passed within its halls, with that of long ago, less dramatic, less sudden and less shocking than in this case. It is thirty four years since that other death sentence was pronounced. Some are living today who recall that sentence with a shudder. Many who were in the court house Monday afternoon will tell their grand-children fifty years from now what a wave of emotion went over that great throng the instant that the fateful words dropped from the lips of Judge Albert P. Miller that sent the blood of the victim of his own deeds rushing back to his heart, leaving his face blanched and his muscles twitching. It was evident from his jaunty air all day that Bland did not expect to get more than a few years in the penitentairy. The wave of emotion that engulfed him at the instant that crushing blow reached his reasoning faculties was evidence that he was shocked and benumbed. The fingers of both locked hands, behind his back as he stood facing the court twitched in nervous twining and untwining. He never left his feet. The watchful officers stood conveniently by and the instant the sentence was pronounced they led him out and away to a cell in the jail. Before he was commanded to stand up for sentence the court reached up and took a calendar from the wall and leafed one month over after another, stopping when he reached the fourth month. The knowing ones in the room knew what that meant and braced themselves for what was coming. The law requires that one sentenced to death must have at least 100 days in which to prepare to meet the ordeal. Judge Miller's finger rested on the date of January 9, of next year, 105 days from the day he consulted the calendar. Then he turned to the prisoner at bar and ordered him to stand up. His voice was forced and husky. His face was pale and strained. The prisoner with the ordinary acumen of humanity must have felt what was coming; he must have felt from the surcharged surroundings that death was in the air, yet he maintained his jaunty air until the fateful words sealed his doom, then he twitched, shock and seemed on the point of collapsing, which he did on reaching the jail. At 2:20 by the clock on the wall Bland stood up for sentence. Five minutes later he was going from the court room, between two officers, drooped and dazed. He was asked whether or not he had anything to say why the sentence of the court should not be passed on him. For an instance he hesitated, then said; "Honorable Judge, I know that I have done wrong. As soon as I found out that Mr. Beegle was dead I put myself in position to be arrested. I ask the mercy of the court. I did not intend to kill Mr. Beegle. I came in and made a clean confession. Herefore I intend to do right." For an instant the judge looked (?) at him. The silence of the grave prevailed over the entire room and it was crowded to its capacity. Slowly and with depressed voice the court gave a brief outline of the case and said he could not find a single mitigating circumstance. He had hoped for a ray of light whereby he could escape the responsibility of carring out the clearly defined requirements of the law in this case, but there was no avenue of escape and he had to do his duty. Then he passed the sentence as above outlined. Not waiting for his jangled nerves to fall him he called Norris to his feet. The boy, who seemed to realize what was coming, knew the fate that had overtaken him, five minutes after Bland walked from the room. He seemed relieved to know that it was no worse. Before sentence he said to the court with apparently all sincerity and truthfulness that he did not willingly go on that wretched trip that night, but that the overpowering influence of Bland drove him to it. At 2:35 Hawthorne stood up and without a word heard the sentence that will bury him alive for life. Bland was 28 years of age on the 28th of last March He has a wife and two children living at East Liverpool. The children are a girl aged 5 and a boy, 2. The wife's maiden name was Stella Norris and she is a half-sister of one of the men in this case. George Bland, father of the unfortunate victim of the law, lives at Middleport, and works at Hobson. He and his wife are estranged and she lives at East Liverpool. Bland has one brother and several sisters. At the trial he was well-dressed and clean and made a good appearence until he went on the stand in his own behalf. There he was too brasen and loud spoken. He appeared to tell the truth, but it was in such a way as to grate on the nerves. One admission that he made to the court he doubt tightened the coils about him and that was that he was physically able to handle the old man he was seeking to rob without resorting to violence. Another thing that developed and which had not come to the attention of the public before was that he went out of the Beegle house as many as three times before he got Norris to go in with him. On each trip out he accused Norris and Hawthorne of turning yellow and losing their nerve. All this satisfied the court that Bland was the moving spirit in the undertaking, and deserved the more severe penalty. Norris is less than 18 years of age and has been an orphan for several years. Several of his neighbors gave him a good reputation previous to this case, testifying to his industry and general good behavior. Hawthorne seemed not to want to go on the stand in his own behalf but finally did go at the suggestion of the court. He was downcast and fearful. He was born February 10, 1904, ..... .... over a year at the reform school. No one testfied in his behalf and when he came to be sentenced he had nothing to say. It has rarely happened in the jurisprudence of the world that circumstences just like these have arisen---that a prisoner be sentenced to the extreme penality and two sentenced to life imprisionment in one day from the same court without a jury. But in this case all three of the accused murders came into open court last Saturday forenoon and pleaded guilty. Each had been indicted on three counts, one for robbery, one for murder in the first degree with premeditation and murder in the first degree. They each pleaded guilty to the first and third counts. This made the calling of the juries unnecessary and threw the whole responsibility on the trial judge. He met the duty bravely and did his duty as his conscience and the law directed. It is not the accused alone that suffer in a case like this. A brief hearing of the testimony of the state and the defense was necessary in order that the court could safely make findings in the three cases. For this purpose the court was opened at 10 o'clock Monday morning with Prosecutor Davis and Fred Crow appearing for the state, Dana H. Peoples appeared for Bland, A.D. Russell for Norris, and E.W. Peoples for Hawthorne. The defendant attorneys seemed to realize from the beginning that they did not have a prop to lean on, but did the best they could for their clients. No arguments were made on either side, however, and very little cross-examining. Testimony was given for the state by Corner Ewing to prove the killing of Mr. Beegle; by Dr. John Philson to prove what caused the death of the victim; by A.E. Gardner, who made a plat of the house; by Mrs. Mary Beegle, widow of the murdered man, who described the killing in detail; by James Hawthorne, the blind boy, who was in the room where the money was supposed to have been hidden; by Sheriff Reeves who made the arrest of Bland and to whom he made damaging admissions; by Edward Pilchard, who sold cartridges to the trio on the Friday evening before the killing; by A.W. Donavan, who helped guard the body on the night of the killing; by Victory Norris, who saw two of the accused together on the day after the murder; by Arthur Norris, who identified the revolvers; by Otis Ferrell, who said that Bland had worked at the Apple Grove dam under the name of Harry Lee; by Edgar Muri??, who found the revolvers under Norris barn, the soldier uniform worn by Bland, and the cartridges hidden by a stump and in the wash house at Arthur Norris's. Bland went on the stand in his own behalf at .... o'clock. He was l..., dis..... and had the apperance of ... ... ...that there was... ... and he tried... may expect from one who is penitent and sincerely sorry. He told the whole story from the planning of the robbery to its execution. He did not seem to hold anything back and in one instance brought out a new feature. He said that after he had shot the old gentleman in the right leg above the knee and broken it, and Norris had shot him in the breast, that he and Norris ran out of the door at top speed, and that Beegle followed closely to the porch poking a shot gun in his ribs at every step, and that he (Bland) fell over a porch railing, where upon Beegle turned back into the house and closed the door after him. When Norris came to the stand he seemed very sincere. From him the court brought out the very inwardness of the whole undertaking. Testimony was offered as to the former good character of Norris by Jonas Wolf, John Hayman, W.F. Sayre, Wm. R. Carnahan, George Chapman and Arthur Roush. When Pearl Hawthorne left the stand, where he had little to say except that which was drawn from him by the court, Walter Norris took the stand and said a few good words for him. It is related that when the first courts bell rang on the fateful day that Bland over in the jail said to a fellow prisoner, "That is calling the Beegle clans together." When the second bell rang, he remarked: "Here goes for Columbus." He went from the jail to the court house twice that day smoking a cigarette. At the noon recess, Bland, who is confined to the lower part of the jail, wrote a note to his partners in crime and slipped it to them through a flue hole reaching to the second floor, where the other two are confined. In the note, which was intercepted, he said his only chance was to watch his chance and knock down the sheriff or his deputy and get a revolver and shoot his way out. He probably will not have an opportunity to do this before he reaches Columbus. Sheriff Reeves and his deputies expect to leave on the 3:30 Hocking Valley train Thursday morning with Bland, Norris and Hawthorne for Columbus. [Transcribed by Charlotte Rowley]

Pomeroy Tribune-Telegraph November 30, 1921
A Former Old Citizen Passes George M. Olinger, long a resident of Pomeroy, died at Nelsonville Tuesday. His age was in the 80's. The body reached here Wednesday and will be buried from the Upper Lutheran Church at 1:30 in the afternoon. Those from a distance here to attend the funeral are Mr. & Mrs. Wm. Young, Mr.& Mrs. George Olinger, Mr. & Mrs Jacob Olinger, Mr.&Mrs. John Olinger, Mr.& Mrs. William Fisher and Mr.& Mrs. Martin Ohlinger. [Transcribed by Charlotte Rowley]

Return to the Newspaper page.